Aghios Charalambos remains the only private psychiatric clinic on the island of Crete since the early 80’s
- We offer intensive monitoring and care in a safe and protected environment. Our goal is to provide efficient and individualized, evidence-based treatments for behavioural disorders.
- We apply Quality Management and Quality Assurance Systems according to EN ISO 9001:2008 and EN ISO 22000:2005. These standards are annually certified by TÜV Austria Hellas. Our operations adhere to strict European guidelines in order to guarantee high quality services in addition to safe and effective therapeutic management.
Aghios Charalambos was founded in 1967 by Dr. Ioannis Konstantinos Tsapakis and has been operating ever since
- At the time, Dr. Ioannis Tsapakis was one of the pioneers in Mental Health Care in Heraklion.
- He had graduated from Athens University Medical School and, after completing his specialty training in various University Psychiatric Clinics in Athens, he served at the Greek Red Cross Hospital in Athens for several years before he became the Clinic’ s founder in 1967 and Clinical Director until his death in 2002.
- Since 2002 and until 2011, Dr. Theodora Adrakta-Xilouri, Psychiatrist, was the Clinic’s Scientific Director.
Dr. Evangelia Maria Tsapakis has been the Clinic’s Director since 2011
Dr Evangelia Maria Tsapakis, BSc(Hons), MBBS, MSc, MRCPsych, PhD(London), is a Consultant Psychiatrist (CCT in General Adult Psychiatry, UK, 2011) who studied pharmacology at King’s College London and medicine at St. George’s Hospital Medical School, University of London.
Our primary goal is to offer medical, psychological and social support to any person in a vulnerable mental health state
- Clinical assessments are acutely provided by members of our multidisciplinary team and individualised short-term treatment plans are drafted shortly after admission.
- Medium and long-term plans refer to the rehabilitation and reintegration of our patients to their local communities and are drafted prior to discharge, whilst every effort is taken, in order to liaise with the community support system of the patient.
- We aim for responsible and personalized Mental Health promotion. We see patients as human beings and therefore, we focus in respecting their human rights during the acute phase of the disease, as well as later on during their transition to the community.
- We offer our patients the care we would like to receive, with honesty, integrity, respect and understanding for every individual.
- Health is a right for all. Our commitment is to provide the best possible up-to-date Mental Health services.
We are responsible to the community we live in and work with, and to the worldwide community as well
- We are solely responsible to our employees, considering each and every one of them as an individual, respecting their dignity and recognizing their merit.
- We provide a sense of security in the workplace.
- We aim for fair and adequate compensation and for clean, orderly and safe working conditions.
- We guarantee equal opportunity for employment, development and advancement for those qualified, and we give emphasis to our employees’ formal and essential qualifications.
Our first responsibility is to lies with our patients and their families, followed by our responsibility to the doctors, nurses and all other personnel and collaborators.
- We extend constantly our efforts towards research, and we develop innovative programs.
- We aim to be proactive when it comes to preservation of natural resources by adopting environmentally responsible practices for the benefit of our patients, employees and the local community.
- We support all activities for better health promotion and education.
- Our team consists of citizens who support good works and charities and who contribute effortlessly and in various ways in our society.
- We take care of our employees, and we are mindful of ways to help them fulfill their family responsibilities.
- We encourage our employees to feel free to make suggestions and complaints, and to advance in their field.
AC Clinic is a 36-bed inpatient mental health facility, which also serves a large number of patients on a Day Hospital and outpatient basis
Aghios Charalambos Clinic is the first and only Mental Health Clinic in Greece to have developed specialized services for international patients and tourists, who may find themselves in need of urgent mental care, while on vacation on the island of Crete.